Random Post 1

 Let's Get One Thing Straight: I'm Not!


As most of you probably know, June is Pride Month. A time to celebrate queerness and being proud of your identity. The first Pride was started by trans women of color as a protest, something most people didn’t know until the social awakening last summer. In 2021 Pride looks more like a big party, but queer people celebrating who they are unapologetically is an act of defiance in itself. I identify as bisexual and wanted to take this opportunity to talk about 

  1. My experience as a bisexual woman

  2. Why I think this pride is especially important


I’ve known I was bisexual for a long time, but it took me a handful of years before I truly felt comfortable calling myself that. In this country, affectionate platonic relationships between women are normal, but not between men. For a long time I told myself that I wasn’t actually bisexual because all girls probably feel the way I do. In an odd way, I gaslighted myself into thinking I wanted to be bisexual because I always felt drawn to the queer community, but I wasn’t in reality. It was only when I began talking more openly about my feelings toward girls with my straight friends that I realized I was different. Thankfully, my family and friends are very accepting and I’ve never felt ashamed of who I am–despite the valiant efforts of some insensitive straight men.


Pride this year is particularly important for advocating for the trans community. More and more laws are being passed attacking the rights of trans people specifically to play sports and to access healthcare. Someone recently told me that he supported banning trans people from joining the military. When I asked why he said he didn’t want his tax dollars going to pay for someone’s transition. I was floored to learn that he thought trans people who can’t afford to transition were going into the military to get their healthcare paid for, because that was their only way out of living in a body that felt wrong. I have no idea where he got this idea from. Trans people who don’t have the means to transition don’t join the military, they live with extreme mental health issues or decide living isn’t worth it at all. That’s why I think this pride is so important; the right of trans people to live in bodies that feel right to them should be protected. I see no good reason why trans people are less deserving of life than cisgender people, but sadly a lot of Americans do.


June will be over in a matter of days but happy pride, and continue to support the LGBT community with your dollar and your vote all year round.

Comments

  1. Happy pride month, Lucy! It's great to see the LGBT community having each other's backs as you do with trans people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lucy I really appreciate how open you were about discussing your experience as a bisexual woman. It is very interesting hearing about your story. I really respect your activism for the rights of the trans community. Happy Pride Month!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lucy, Love your creative title, it made me laugh. It is surprising how ignorant people are to make comments about trans people joining the army. People need to do more research or ask questions before they make such assumptions.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts